This course describes the basics of condensed matter physics and their magnetic properties
- Teacher: Dr.Lyjo KJospeh
Total Credits: 4 Total Hours: 72
This course statistical mechanics is meant for the second semester of M.Sc Physics of Mahatma Gandhi University.
The course consists of 4 units
UNIT I (22 hrs) The Statistical Basis of Thermodynamics
UNIT II (18 hrs) Grand canonical Ensemble
UNIT III (22hrs) Quantum Theory of Simple Gases
UNIT IV (10 hrs ) Phase Transitions
Recommended Text books:
1. Text book- R.K. Pathria, Statistical Mechanics, second edition (1996), Butterworth, Heinemann. (For Modules I, II and III.)
2. R Bowley and M. Sanchez, Introductory Statistical Mechanics, second edition, Oxford University Press. (For Module IV )
Recommended Reference Books:
1. Kerson Huang, Statistical Mechanics, John Wiley and Sons (2003).
2. F. Rief, Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics, McGraw Hill (1986).
3. D. Chandler, Introduction to Statistical Mechanics, Oxford University Press (1987)
4. L.D Landau and E.M Lifshitz, Statistical Physics (Vol-1),3rd Edition. Pergamon Press(1989)
5. Yung-Kuo Lim, Problems and Solutions in Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics, World Scientific (1990).
- Teacher: Dr.Sajeev US